Sunday, August 19, 2012

Getting Back on the Running Horse

Hello Blog World,
I am extremely excited to write this entry, particularly because it is my first week running on a regular basis.  Yes.  I, Jess, a runner for 2 years straight, logging in over 1500 miles, went on a 3 month hiatus from running. I do not know how it got this bad, actually I do, I just did not run.  Pretty simple to fix it once you figure out the problem.  I wanted to take the time in this post to acknowledge some of those who have inspired me to run and those who continue to help me accomplish my goals. 

Total Miles: 20.1
Word Count Goal: 1,206
Mileage Goal for Next Week: 20.1 or + 
The Coffee Shop :)

Let's take it back to the Fall of 2011 when I participated in National Student Exchange through my college. I attended Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, Massachusetts.  I was originally supposed to be in MA for a year; however, do to money (what else) and personal reasons I decided to return to my home at MSUM for the spring semester.  My time in MA went by fast and I learned a lot about myself, others, my family, and coffee.  I reached one of my goals of working in a coffee shop, which was amazing.  I am so blessed that Jared, the owner of The Better Bean Coffee Co., hired me even though he knew I was only going to be in MA for a school year.  You can imagine how bad I felt after I told him I was leaving in December instead.  I could talk about my job for hours because of the wonderful people I became friends with or just met as they bought a cup of coffee.

The road races I ran in MA.
 One person who I am truly grateful for is Doug, one of the regulars at the coffee shop.  Doug usually came in every night around 8 pm to get a cup of decaf coffee with cream and no sugar.  When we first met I mentioned to him that I was running in one of the 5Ks being arranged on campus that weekend.  From then on we found out road races were a shared love.  Thanks to Doug I ran the most road races I have in MA.  I can also thank the amazing weather the East Coast has to offer because I ran outside all the way up to December when I left.  One thing I'm going to miss when I am forced to run inside at the end of September here in Minnesota. Anyways, Doug helped me push my limits that I previously set with road races.  For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that my body can only run 3.1 miles at a time.  I was also stuck in the same pace I had for a year, an 8 minute 20 second mile.  Doug told me that your body gets used to running at a pace and that I needed to do interval training to decrease my time.


First official road race over 3.1 miles, a 5 mile race.
So I took Doug's advice and started interval training on the treadmill at the gym.  I would run my regular pace of 8 minutes and 20 seconds for 3.1 miles, ride the bike at random hill setting level 12 for 20 minutes, then I would run another 3.1 miles switching from jogging at a 10 minute pace to running at an 8 minute pace.  My work paid off because the next road race on campus was a 5K and I set my new Personal Record of a 24 minutes and 20 seconds.  I was ecstatic and ready to push myself to the next level. I set a goal for myself to run the Fargo Half Marathon in May of 2012.  I knew I had to increase my weekly mileage, or at least run more than 3.1.  I told this to Doug and he informed me about the Victoria L. Mosier 5 Mile Run in which the money went to Homes for Out Troops.  You can go to this website to check out the cause or make a donation www.homesforourtroops.org .  I loved this cause and I loved the fact that I could train for a 5 mile run which would finally push me past the comfort zone of the 5K.  I met Doug at the race and I successfully completed with a time of 39 minutes 45 seconds, which meant I also succeeded in keeping my 8 mile pace.  There is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment and that day no one could wipe the smile off of my face.  The race was actually held in Raynham, MA which is the town my aunt and uncle live in.  After the race I drove over to their house and had dinner.  I showed off the medal I got and texted my mom, dad, and sisters.  It was truly a perfect day for me.

I have so many great memories from that one semester in MA. The impact of everyone who entered my life during those short 5 months will remain with me forever. Shout out to Jacqui, Kara, Kelly H., Jared, Doug, Mark, and Kelsey K (My Better Bean Family). I hope everyone is doing good and I appreciate you for making me feel so welcome in a new environment and being great friends.  More stories to come about Bridgewater in later posts I am sure!

So, I started running this week.  I am amazed at the human body and what it can do.  I mean really think about running and how we can constantly be moving for 30 minutes for a 5K or 4 hours for a Marathon.  My first run on Monday went like this:

After not running for 3  months I was able to run a 5K on the treadmill at the Wellness Center.  I do not normally like running on the treadmill; however, running on the treadmill makes it easier for me to curb the urge to stop. I like to run outside or around the track because I get to see new surroundings every step. Below is the 5K run I also did on the treadmill on Tuesday. 



Wednesday through Saturday I ran outside because the Wellness was closed.  I pushed through and the feelings of running outside all rushed back to me.  I remembered why I love running and why I love running around the F/M area.  I cannot thank my sister Nicole enough for running with me outside most of the days.  I am so grateful to have sisters that have the same passion for working out, running, and eating healthy like I do.  Because of them I have a strong support group around me 24/7 and we can keep each other in check.  If there is a time that I do not feel like running Nicole will say to me, "Hey let's go" and I will do the same for her. TIP: If you are having a hard time beginning to exercise my advice is to also find a person or a group of people that exercise too.  You will be able to push each other like my sisters and I push each other.  If you do not have someone like that in your life you may also want to be in an environment where exercising is encouraged, such as a gym or park where others are working out or running. You will find out just being in the environment will give you a comforting feeling, a sense of belonging.          

I am having a relaxing Sunday working on this post, drinking delicious coffee, and listening to music.  I also went to Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch thrift store and bought a potato masher, a cool pair of earrings, and a couple scarfs.  (thrift stores are my weakness I am bound to buy something)  I hope you had a great week and are having a relaxing Sunday as well.    

Currently listening to Mumford and Sons-Home

Stay Joyful,
Jess         

  


1 comment: