Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I've been taking water for granted

Hello readers,

Lately I've been searching for a cause to dive into that helps change peoples' lives.  The cause I am interested in is supplying clean water to those in need. Above is a video on mycharitywater.org a organization I have recently joined and set up a profile on.  100 percent of the donations go towards providing men, women, and children with clean water.  More information can be found at http://www.charitywater.org/whywater/.

The first time I thought about wasting water was in sixth grade.  I would leave the faucet running the entire time I brushed my teeth. Little did I know how fortunate I was for the accessibility to water. Now 10 years later I've made strides to decrease the amount of waste I produce (mostly not buying bottled drinks especially bottled water). However, I've been wasting and ignoring the fact 1 billion people do not have access to clean water. 

I take too long of showers, run the water too long while washing dishes, I drink water from the sink and empty my cup if I do not want the rest, and I overestimate the amount I need for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. which gets dumped down the sink. All of these instances I waste water I cannot help but think of the families and individuals who do not have the opportunity to waste the way I do.  Many families and individuals do not have access to water at all.

My actions of showering, washing dishes, drinking water from the faucet, and using water for hot beverages are a luxury compared to these families' and individual's necessity of water to survive.  

These are the individuals who walk to get there water, carrying containers on their heads and backs.  Using hours every day and placing themselves in danger to bring water to their community and families rather than being able to learn how to write, read, attend school, or care for their families. 

We all need water to survive. I hope to raise as much donations as possible so people do not continue to die from the lack of access to clean water.    

I look forward to telling you all more about my plans to raise money for clean water. I do plan to intertwine running and campaigning.

More news to come soon.

Stay Joyful,
Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment